Family holiday ideas are what’s up for today’s post, and that has us excited! The holidays are certainly more fun with your family, so we have some ideas to help you take full advantage of all the fun to be had and the memories waiting to be made. From family traditions to fun with the kids, check out these ideas!
Festive Family Holiday Ideas
The best part about this list of family holiday activities is that they are either cheap or free. For many families, the holiday budget is a concern when planning activities to do as a family. These ideas are perfect for all of us holiday shoppers!
- Of course decorating the tree is a great family activity! But if little kids and their little hands are a concern and you have the room, set up a small tree for them. As a family, decorate this smaller tree with trimmings that the kids can’t hurt. The perfect spot for a tree like this is in a playroom or kids’ bedroom.
- Do you have lots of holiday lights in your neighborhood? Pick an evening when the weather is good and go on a walking light tour. You can even carry hot cocoa with you. If the weather is too cold, take a driving tour and wear your jammies!
- Many families already watch a few holiday movies, but take it to the next level. Find out what holiday movies are airing and when. Make a list of the ones the whole family wants to watch, along with the day, time and channel so you don’t miss your favorites!
- Get the family together to craft one or more of these 10 DIY Christmas topiaries.
- Caroling is a favorite family holiday tradition of many. If you have any widows or widowers living in your neighborhood, this is a great service activity to bring a little holiday cheer into their lives. And it never fails to cheer you up as well!
- In areas where snow is plentiful, a snow day during the holiday is fun for everyone. One family has a tradition to build the tallest snowman the available snow will allow every New Year’s Eve day. After the snowy fun is over, go inside for hot chocolate and another holiday movie by the fire.
- Do you ever clean out your kids’ toys before Christmas to make room for the new? Get the kids together to help, and then deliver gently used to toys to a Women and Children’s Shelter near you.
- Give the kids a dollar amount, and then go to the grocery store as a family and purchase non-perishable food items for your local food bank.
- Buy warm blankets and socks, and go as a family to a homeless shelter to drop them off.
This list of festive family holiday ideas ought to get you started. What traditions does your family enjoy? Please share with us and other readers in the comment section!